1. We respect your privacy and are committed to protecting it. This privacy statement explains our policies and practices regarding on-line customer information. It is through this disclosure that we intend to provide you with a level of comfort and confidence in how we collect, use, and safeguard personal and other information we collect or that you provide through this website, and how you can contact us if you have any questions or concerns. By using the site, you agree to the terms of this privacy statement.
2. This Privacy Statement applies to www.languagebird.com and its related mobile site, which are owned and maintained by
P.O. Box 64352
Los Angeles, CA 90064 .
The business purpose of this website is to provide visitors the opportunity to learn a foreign language online.
3. When you visit languagebird.com we will not collect any personal information about you unless you provide it to us voluntarily. Personal data includes information that is particular to you such as name, street address, telephone number, email address and credit card number if you make a purchase. If you opt not to provide us with personal information you can still access our website, however you may be unable to participate in certain promotions, such as sweepstakes, create login credentials in order to use certain functionalities on the site, or receive product information.
Our primary goal in collecting personal information from you when you visit languagebird.com is to provide you the functionality and services that you need to have a meaningful and customized experience while using the site features. We need to collect personal information in order to fulfill a site user request such as sending marketing, promotional or support materials including emails or other information, and fulfill purchases.
If you are linked to this site upon requesting information by text message and you later reply “STOP,” you agree to receive a confirmation text message to your STOP.
This site may use session and persistent “cookies” to collect personally identifiable information. An explanation for each of these items and how they work is included in Section 7 – Methods to Collect Information.
4. Personally identifiable information collected on languagebird.com may be used to:
Fulfill a site user request (e.g., brochure fulfillment, lead generation, send marketing or promotional materials including emails or other information, save or share content)
Fulfill and deliver an order for goods or services
Respond to your comments or requests for information
Meet a request for or to develop new products or services
Make the user experience more customer friendly
Contact you if necessary in the course of processing or shipping an order for products or services
Generate site analytics that improve our site layout, content, product offerings and services
Compile user data that is stored in our database and may be used for marketing and other purposes
Match personal data collected here with data about you that we collect through other sources
Comply with legal requirements
5. During a normal visit to our site, no personally identifiable information about you is collected. Most information on our site is free to browse at your leisure without the need for you to provide us with any personally identifiable information. Languagebird.com collects other information, non-personally identifiable information from site visitors. This means that we do not track these items on an individual basis that identifies the site visitor, but rather gather and collect this information on an aggregate [or anonymous] basis that includes all site visitors. Non-personal information may include information such as tracking the site pages that are visited, the amount of time spent on our site, clicks, page views, events (which shopping tools you interacted with), and zip code.
If you visit a related mobile site or are directed to this site via a QR Code that you scanned, we collect additional non-personal information which may include the type/model of the mobile device viewing the site and the mobile device’s service provider.
Our primary goal in collecting aggregate information from you is to be able to perform site metrics that allow us to improve the functionality of the website. We need to collect aggregate information in order to track page visits and peak site usage time, and to perform site clickthrough analysis and site layout re-design.
We may use session and persistent “cookies,” session logs, spot light ads/web beacons/GIF/pixel tags, banner ads or links, and third-party click tracking analytics tools (such as DART, Omniture tags, DoubleClick, Efficient Frontier, Flurry, and Google Analytics) to collect aggregate or other non-personally identifiable information about site visitors. An explanation for each of these items and how they work is included in Section 7 – Methods to Collect Information.
6. How We Use the Aggregate or Non-Personally Identifiable Information We Collect:Non-Personally identifiable information collected on languagebird.com may be used to:
Compile aggregate and statistical data to help in website design and to identify popular features
Measure site activity to allow us to update our site to better meet user wants and needs
Make the user experience more customer friendly
Languagebird.com utilizes non-personal data for the purpose of performing analytics on the users’ experience while visiting this site. This analysis:
Is performed on an aggregate level and does not identify you or your information personally
May involve the use of a third-party vendor acting on behalf of languagebird.com
Is performed in order to improve our website and the user experience
May include the use of session and/or persistent cookies to track user movement across this and other LanguageBird® websites or to track other events within or across this and other LanguageBird® websites
Any information that is provided to a third-party vendor is to be used only for the purpose of performing the analytics and compiling reports of the data. The third-party vendor is restricted from using this data in any other way other than to provide these services to LanguageBird® and they may not share or resell this data
7. Methods to Collect Information and Interest-Based/Online Behavioral Advertising:
A “cookie” is a small text file that helps us in many ways to make your visit to our website more enjoyable and meaningful to you. For example, cookies can avoid you having to log in every time you come back to one of our websites. They also allow us to tailor a website or advertisement to better match your interests and preferences. There are a couple different types of cookies.
A “session” cookie is stored only in your computer’s working memory (RAM) and only lasts for your browsing session. When you close all your browser’s windows, or when you shut down your computer, the session cookie disappears forever.
A “persistent” cookie is stored on your computer’s hard drive until a specified date, which could be tomorrow, next week, or 10 years from now. Persistent cookies stay on your computer until either a) they expire, b) they are overwritten with newer cookies, or c) you manually remove them. Most browsers can be configured not to accept cookies, however, this may prevent you from having access to some site functions or features.
This site may use a third party to deliver site functionality such as fulfilling your request to book appointments or purchase items or services from LanguageBird® . In performing this function the third party may place a persistent cookie on your computer or have to gather personal information from you in order to facilitate the processing of your purchase.
This site may use a third-party click tracking analytics tool (such as DART, Omniture tags, DoubleClick and Google Analytics) to capture clickthrough statistics.
Languagebird.com may use spotlight ads/web beacons/GIF/pixel tags which are site instrumentation tools that help us to determine, for instance, whether a page has been viewed or not and, if so, how many times. Emails or electronic newsletters we send may use tools (e.g., pixel tags or web beacons) to gather email metrics and information to improve the reader’s experience such as how many of the emails are opened, if they were printed or forwarded, the type of device (e.g., mobile or PC) from which they were opened, and the city, state, and county associated with the applicable IP address. In general, any electronic image viewed as part of a webpage, including an ad banner, can act as a web beacon.
When you visit our website the server housing the pages automatically generates a “session log.” We use session logs to help us determine how people travel through our site. In this way, we can structure our pages so that the information most frequently visited is easier to find. By tracking page visits, we can also determine if the information we’re providing is being used. The only data gathered is the Internet Protocol (IP) address from which you came (which contains no personal information), the web site that referred you, the pages you visited and the date and time of those visits.
If you visit this site with an open ID, you may integrate with third-party social media sites, and languagebird.com may track on an aggregate level the number of visits to this site with an open ID, the number of items “liked” on this site, or items on this site that you choose to share with a third-party social media site.
Users may be directed to languagebird.com via banner ads, site links or QR Codes. Ads, site links or QR Codes may use tools such as cookies or web beacons to deliver metrics on the effectiveness of the ads or links. They do not collect personal information from the user.
Interest-Based/Online Behavioral Advertising
On some pages of our site we may allow third-party advertising partners to set web tracking tools (e.g., cookies and web beacons) to collect anonymous, non-personally identifiable information regarding your activities on those pages (e.g., your IP address, page(s) visited, time of day). We may also share such information we have collected with third-party advertising partners. These advertising partners may use this information (and similar information collected from other websites) for purposes of delivering future targeted advertisements to you when you visit other (non-languagebird® ) sites within their networks. This practice is commonly referred to as “interest-based advertising” or “online behavioral advertising.”
Pages of our website that collect information that may be used by such advertising partners for interest-based advertising purposes are identified by a link to AdChoices on the page.
Opting out (site pages). If you do not want your browsing while on such pages to be used for interest-based advertising purposes, you may click on the AdChoices link to opt-out of such uses by the listed advertising partner(s). Even if you opt-out through this service, we may still collect non-personally identifiable information regarding your site activities and use it for non-interest-based advertising purposes as described in this privacy statement.
Opting out (advertisements). Advertisements on third-party sites that contain the AdChoices link and that link to this privacy statement may have been directed to you based on anonymous, non-personally identifiable information collected by advertising partners over time and across websites. These advertisements provide a mechanism to opt-out of the advertising partners’ use of this information for interest-based advertising purposes. Even if you opt-out through this service, we may still collect and use information from the advertisements for non-interest based advertising purposes, such as to determine the effectiveness of the advertisements.
Opt-out Compliance Service. This site and advertisements on third-party sites that link to this privacy statement use the Evidon assurance service to comply with the cross-industry Self-Regulatory Program for Online Behavioral Advertising managed by the Digital Advertising Alliance (DAA) ( http://www.aboutads.info ). When you opt-out on site pages or through such advertisements, Evidon conveys your opt-out election(s) to the applicable advertising partner(s), which then know to place a cookie on your specific computer and browser (and only the specific computer and browser from which you opt out) indicating that you have opted out.. If you clear your browser cookies and wish to remain opted out of interest-based advertising, you must opt-out again. The list of our advertising partners may be updated from time to time. To opt-out of internet-based advertising by all DAA-participating companies, visit http://www.aboutads.info/choices/.
8. Languagebird.com shares personally identifiable information that you provide with its contracting teachers. LanguageBird® does not rent or sell your personally identifiable information.
Personal information that you provide to us in the course of requesting a product or service through this website may be gathered and stored in one or more of our corporate databases and be used for purposes of contacting you for things like promotional offers, marketing programs, or other communications from this website or other LanguageBird® programs and services.
Vendors, contractors or partners of languagebird.com who have access to your personal information in connection with providing services for languagebird.com are required to keep the information confidential and are not permitted to use this information for any other purpose than to carry out the services they are performing for languagebird.com.
Languagebird.com may share your information with subcontractors. Subcontractors are restricted from using this data in any other way other than to provide these services to LanguageBird® and they may not share or resell this data.
Site metrics for languagebird.com may be shared with other LanguageBird® websites or subsidiaries or affiliates.
Languagebird.com will disclose your personal information, without notice, only if required to do so by law or in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to: (a) conform to the edicts of the law or comply with legal process served on LanguageBird® or the site; (b) protect and defend the rights or property of LanguageBird® and this site; or, (c) act under exigent circumstances to protect the personal safety of users of LanguageBird® , its web sites, or the public.
9. Access To and Control Over the Use of Your InformationTo correct or update your personal information you may contact us at:
P.O. Box 64352
Los Angeles, CA 90064
The scope of access available for this request is for information stored in the database that holds the data for languagebird.com. Any personal information that has been collected from you on other Company websites will not be accessible or changeable through the processing of this request.
10. Safeguarding information of visitors to our website is important to us. We use systems, policies and procedures to maintain accuracy of information and to protect information from loss, misuse or alteration.
Vendors, contractors or partners of languagebird.com who have access to your personal information in connection with providing services for languagebird.com are required to keep the information confidential.
Vendors are not permitted to use this information for any other purpose than to carry out the services they are performing for languagebird.com.
11. By visiting this site and by providing your personally identifiable information to us, you understand and consent to the collection, use, processing, transfer, and disclosure of your personally identifiable and non-personally identifiable information globally — including to the United States – in accordance with this Privacy Statement. Therefore, by visiting this site and by providing such information, you consent to the transfer of such information across country borders, and to the use, processing, and disclosure of such information in global locations. Your consent shall be deemed to include your consent to transfer of the personally identifiable or non-personally identifiable information to locations that may have different levels of privacy protection than in your own country.
12. Languagebird.com provides links to other websites. We encourage you to review the privacy statements of all sites which you visit, including those whose links are provided so that you can understand how those sites collect, use and share your information. Languagebird.com is not responsible for the privacy statements, content or data handling practices on other websites.
13. Languagebird.com does not knowingly intend to collect personal information from children under 13 years of age. If a child has provided us with personal information, a parent or guardian of that child may contact us at
P.O. Box 64352
Los Angeles, CA 90064
If they want this information deleted from our records. We will then make reasonable efforts to delete the child’s information from the database that stores information for languagebird.com.
14. If you have any questions, comments or concerns about this online privacy statement for languagebird.com, languagebird.com privacy practices, or have any questions regarding the contents of this website please contact us at
P.O. Box 64352
Los Angeles, CA 90064
15. Occasionally we may update the privacy statement for languagebird.com in order to reflect any changes to the website or our privacy practices. If we make any updates to this statement, including any updates reflecting material changes to our Online Behavioral/Interest-Based Advertising practices, the new statement will be posted to the website ten (10) days prior to the changes taking effect.
The effective date of this privacy statement is 4/24/2014