• This page is for California students and schools ONLY.
• This information is only for students who wish to apply to the University of California or California State University systems.
• This information is not applicable for private college admissions in California.

You can find LanguageBird on the UC’s online provider directory for the 2022-2023 school year HERE.

What is UC A-G?

What are the language requirements for admission to the University of California?
Two years, or equivalent to the 2nd level of high school instruction, of the same language other than English are required. (Three years/3rd level of high school instruction recommended). Courses taken in the seventh and eighth grades may be used to fulfill part or all of this requirement if the high school accepts them as equivalent to its own courses. Source here.

California students need A-G courses if they:

1. Live in California and attend a California high school
2. Have not yet fulfilled the 2-year language other than English requirement*
3. Plan to apply to a UC or CSU public university.

If you have determined you still need A-G courses, California students can earn A-G credits with LanguageBird in ANY ONE of the following four ways:

1. Have their California high school add LanguageBird courses to their school/course list.

2. Have their California high school approve the course through Principal certification.

3. Through concurrent/dual enrollment with a LanguageBird partner school, you can earn A-G credits. Our partner schools have added all LanguageBird courses to their A-G lists. You will enroll in a partner school as well as with LanguageBird. Your final transcript for your course will be issued from a partner school. If you would like to register with a LanguageBird partner school for A-G credit, please contact your LanguageBird admissions representative at 844-700-2473. They will suggest schools where you can concurrently enroll in LanguageBird courses.

4. Self-report your LanguageBird coursework as an additional course or extracurricular activity.

Instructions including screenshots of how to report your LanguageBird courses is available on our FAQ page. Official transcripts may be sent upon request to any college or university through Parchment. Learn more about transcripts here.

For more information, please contact your LanguageBird admissions representative 844-700-2473.



Directions for California High School Officials:

1. How to add a LanguageBird course to your school’s UC A-G list:
• Starting February 1, 2020, schools will add online publisher courses to their A-G course lists by certifying and self-reporting courses from UC-registered online course publishers.
• More information about certifying and self-reporting courses can be found in the summary of the updated online course policy.
• Please also view this brief video demonstration, which walks you through how to use the new self-report an online publisher course feature in the A-G CMP.

From <https://hs-articulation.ucop.edu/guide/news-resources/updated-online-course-publisher-policy-faqs>

2. How to approve a LanguageBird course through principal certification:
• If an individual student is independently enrolling in an online course taught by an online publisher’s instructor and it is not a course being offered to all students at the student’s school, the school is not required to certify and self-report the course to add it to their A-G course list. The school, however, must still review and, if appropriate, grant principal certification (see page 15 of the Quick Reference Guide to UC Admissions) for the publisher’s course if it is to be used by an individual student to fulfill an A-G subject requirement.
From <https://hs-articulation.ucop.edu/guide/news-resources/updated-online-course-publisher-policy-faqs>

School officials, if you have further questions, please refer to the updated online course publisher policy located on the UC website A-G Policy Resource Guide. You can also email the UC at [email protected]

From <https://mailchi.mp/ucop/hsa-bulletin-jan-2020>

For other information about LanguageBird accreditations and approvals, visit our accreditation page HERE.