Showcase Your Language Skills with the Global Seal of Biliteracy!
LanguageBird is collaborating with Global Seal and Avant STAMP to offer the opportunity for language learners to earn the Global Seal of Biliteracy. The Seal is a credential that certifies your proficiency in two or more languages and celebrates your language-learning accomplishment!
The Global Seal of Biliteracy is recognized nationally and internationally by employers and schools as a standard metric of language proficiency. You can include it on your resume, CV, LinkedIn profile, or college applications to stand out from others and to clearly indicate your language ability.
Why Should I Earn the Global Seal of Biliteracy?
- Gain a competitive edge on the job market by demonstrating your language skills to employers who are seeking multilingual employees.
- Save time and use your Global Seal of Biliteracy for university language placement or towards university credit hours in certain states* (*IL, HI, MO, MN, ME accept the Seal for college credit; more in the works!).
- Include a nationally and internationally recognized certification of your bilingual and biliteracy skills on your resume, CV, and college applications.
- Demonstrate your multicultural and multilingual competency.
- Enhance your college applications by earning this prestigious distinction.
Special Note for High School Students:
The Global Seal of Biliteracy is more widely accepted outside of the university environment as an indication of language proficiency. This means that future employers will recognize the Global Seal of Biliteracy, but not the AP exam. The AP language exams are more commonly accepted for college credit, but some states (IL, HI, MO, MN, ME) currently accept the Seal for college credit. (More states will accept it in the future.) So, when thinking long-term, you can carry the Global Seal of Biliteracy with you past university and into your professional career.
How does it work?
In order to receive the Seal, you will need to take an exam. LanguageBird uses the STAMP Exam, which is a proctored exam that you can complete online in a maximum of 180 minutes. You will also need to demonstrate proficency in English through your grade level in school.
- Students who have completed 8th grade in an English-speaking school and score a 5 or above in each skill area on the exam (Reading, Speaking, Listening, and Writing)* qualify for a Functional Fluency level credential.
- Students who have completed 11th grade in an English-speaking school and score a 7 or above in each skill area on the exam (Reading, Speaking, Listening, and Writing)* qualify for a Working Fluency level credential.
- If you feel that you might qualify for the Working Fluency level credential but haven’t completed 11th grade, you can wait to take the exam, or you can also take an English language exam during the testing window. If you earn qualifying scores in both English and the language you are testing in, you can earn the Working Fluency level credential. Note that there will be an additional cost of $125 for the English test. You can take a self-assessment from Global Seal here: https://theglobalseal.com/self-assessment
- Note that students from outside the United States may have different language requirements. Please complete the form at the bottom of this page for more information.
Here’s a link for more information about language tests and how they fit on the ACTFL scale: https://theglobalseal.com/actfl-tests
Following the exam, LanguageBird will submit your scores to Global Seal for review. Scores meeting the criteria listed above will receive the Global Seal of Biliteracy.
* Students testing in a language from Language Group 2 will only have two sections in their exam, Writing and Speaking.
Who Can Register for the Exam with LanguageBird?
Anyone 13 and older can register for the exam with LanguageBird, including current LanguageBird students, students unaffiliated with LanguageBird, professionals, students at partner schools, etc.
Also, you do not need to have taken formal language classes to take the exam. For example, if you are bilingual and want to have a way to demonstrate that on an application to employers or schools, you can take the exam to earn the Seal.
When Can I Take the Exam?
LanguageBird will be offering the exam online from June 17th through July 1st, 2022. You can take the exam at home, or in a location most suitable for you to test, within these dates at a time most convenient for you. You schedule your exam.
Please note that Avant STAMP offers technical support for the exam between the hours of 5am – 4pm PST, Monday – Friday. We recommend you schedule your exam during these hours in case you need technical support on the exam.
Laptop or computer, Internet, webcam (free-standing or integrated), microphone, headphones, keyboard, and smartphone.
The STAMP Test is available in the following languages:
Language Group 1
- Mandarin (Simplified & Traditional)
Language Group 2
- Chin (Hakha)
- Filipino (Tagalog)
- Haitian Creole
- Hawaiian (‘Ōlelo Hawai’i)
- Somali Maay Maay
- Somali Maxaa
For More Information
For more information and to help you prepare to take the STAMP exam, review the following resources:
When registering by June 3rd the cost is $175
*Exams ordered after June 3rd, 2022 will incur a late order fee in addition to the exam fee.
*Late order fee – $40 in addition to the exam fee.
2022 Test Dates
Rolling dates of June 17-July 1, 2022
Results delivered by (TBD)
Regular registration ends June 3rd, 2022 at midnight.
*Please note that registrations received after June 3rd, 2022 will incur a $40 late fee. Registrations and late fees are non-refundable if you register for the exam, but do not complete the exam between June 17- July 1, 2022.
Need More Information?
For more information about the Global Seal of Biliteracy or to register for the STAMP exam, complete this form and a member of our team will be in touch soon.