Learning another language is not only a fun, educational activity but also one that can open doors to a variety of future careers. Knowing a foreign language can provide a competitive edge, elevating one job candidate over others. While anyone can learn a foreign language, the younger the learning starts, the easier and more effective it is. Online Portuguese classes are an excellent way to give your child this benefit.
Why Learn Portuguese?
Because Portuguese has not traditionally been included in the foreign languages taught in US schools, you may have overlooked it.
- Major World Language – According to linguistics research at Ethnologue, Portuguese is the ninth most spoken language in the world, with about 252 million speakers — that’s more speakers than German or Japanese.
- Stand out – Because Portuguese has often been overlooked in US foreign language offerings, fewer people enter the job market with Portuguese language skills. Having those skills can give someone a great advantage.
- World of Options – Portuguese is spoken all over the world. Obviously in Brazil and Portugal, but also parts of Africa such as Angola and Mozambique, and in the Chinese territory of Macau. There are also pockets of Portuguese speakers in many parts of the US, but especially in coastal New England and areas in California.
- Growth of Brazil – Brazil has one of the top-ten largest economies in the world and the largest in Latin America. Businesses and industries will need Portuguese speakers to work with this member of the global economy.
Career Options Requiring Portuguese
It’s easy to think of jobs such as translators and interpreters when considering those for which foreign language knowledge is needed, but there are many more options to explore.
- Travel and Tourism – Travel to both Brazil, especially adventure travel, is increasingly popular and solid skills in Portuguese are needed for work here, especially in areas where fewer people speak English.
- IT, Computer Support, and Data Analysis – Many companies require technical and customer support in a multitude of languages and Portuguese is certainly one that is in demand.
- International Banking, Finance, and Law – Fine details and nuances of expression in Portuguese are crucial to effective international banking, finance, and legal interactions.
- Localization – Websites, advertisements, and other communications that aren’t translated by a human sound clunky at best are incorrect at worst. Foreign language speakers are needed to help adapt these materials for different environments.
- Government – From diplomatic jobs at embassies to top-secret interpretation and analysis, there are many opportunities for Portuguese speakers to work with the US government.
- Sales Support – Communications, logistics, shipping details, invoicing, and other sales support are often needed by companies doing business across international borders. As the world economy becomes more globalized, foreign language skills will be increasingly needed.
Why Online Portuguese Classes?
Effective language learning happens when a student can interact and have immediate feedback with a teacher. Immersion and repeated practice are keys to meaningful, lasting foreign language skills. Online Portuguese classes with LanguageBird are:
- Individualized – Students learn at their own pace with one-on-one instruction provided by a native Portuguese speaker. Learning can be focused on a student’s interests and is competency and progress-driven, rather than measured by time spent.
- Flexible – Private instructors work via video chat, so lessons can be set to fit a student’s individual schedule.
- Accredited – Students taking online Portuguese classes can receive high school credit, or take conversational classes or receive tutoring or test preparation. Both Brazilian and European Portuguese are available, and lessons are taught by native speakers.
- Available – LanguageBird’s online Portuguese classes are also up and running during the coronavirus pandemic, and some free language learning resources are available during this time, too.
An investment in learning a foreign language is an investment in your child’s future, and making the decision to learn Brazilian or European Portuguese is a smart choice in today’s world. Using online learning is one of the best ways to make it all happen around your schedule and in the comfort of your own home. Contact us today to start exploring online Portuguese classes.